Thursday, May 19, 2011

Finds at The Food Coop




All images © Valery Rizzo

So I have been pretty crazy over the baby greens at the food coop lately. Baby kale, baby beet greens, baby swiss chard, baby bok choy, baby arugula, baby mustard greens and so many other green babies. People stand over them surprisingly questioning what to do with them and I just say simply make a salad! 

This week what struck me in particular was the watercress, the bunches of radishes and I always have to buy some baby kale every time I see it there, you could say I am in love with it. I created a salad made with green leaf lettuce, watercress, baby kale, cherry tomatoes and slices of radish topped with hemp seed, which gives it a nutty flavor and crunch, a bit of balsamic vinegar, extra-virgin olive oil, cracked black pepper and salt. This together with some sprouted bread is a perfect lunch.

I always lovingly think of my Latina mother-in-law when I make a salad now and how one day she said to me "Valery, you are for salads!" repeating that over and over again as she devoured the healthy salad I had made her for lunch while going back for seconds. 



1 comment:

  1. This blog just gets better and better! I love the beautiful food photographs.

    ReplyDelete